Friday, June 10, 2016

30 Things I Love About Canada #8: Health Care

Actually, I can't really say that I love health care in Canada because I haven't had to use it yet, but knowing it's there for us if we need it makes all the difference in the world. What's even better is not having to shell out a thousand dollars a month to a company that will only pay a fraction of our health care costs. We're not even full-fledged citizens, just a temporary residents, but Canada still extends this right to us.

I was talking to a group of moms a while ago and when they found out I was an American they asked me why so many people in my country seemed so angry at our president when he was trying to bring universal health care to America. They couldn't imagine life without it. They were flabbergasted to learn that we had to pay about $3,000 per kid (and that's WITH insurance) when I gave birth. I was amazed to learn they didn't have to pay anything. One woman asked, "What happens if there are complications or if your child is born sick?" and I had to answer that people go tens of thousands of dollars into debt. This was outrageous to them and they couldn't believe Americans just accept it as normal.

Their health care system is far from perfect - I hear about long waiting periods for non-emergency care - but Canadians will never give it up, even conservatives. Its also far from free. Taxes are definitely higher here along with the cost of everything else (gas, groceries, rent, etc.   ....But this month is suposed to be all about the good stuff so I won't go into this.) Reforming the health care system is a goal, but eliminating it is unfathomable.  It's a wonderful feeling knowing your country will take care of you in times of crisis. America often brags about being the land of the free but the truth is it can be very expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment